Sunday, June 28, 2015

So where does my adventure begin??

After 15 years of residing on the SE coast of North Carolina, I decided a change was in order. What would be the opposite of the sparkling ocean, sandy beaches, sea gulls and hoards of tourists every year from Memorial Day until Labor Day?? Hmmm, let me see...aha! How about the opposite side of the state, where the arid temperatures, beautiful mountains, nature and wildlife are abundant? Sounds like a plan Stan! I'm headed to Appalachians!

The Appalachian Mountains, often called the Appalachians, are a system of mountains in eastern North America. The Appalachians first formed roughly 480 million years ago during the Ordovician Period and once reached elevations similar to those of the Alps and the Rocky Mountains before they were eroded.

 

Craggy Gardens: Central Appalachians

After a few road trips beginning in Mt. Airy and meandering over to the Great Smoky Mountains, I decided on an area (which shall remain undisclosed) near the Blue Ridge Parkway, just a few miles from the Pisgah National Forest. This is a decision I shall never regret! A wonderful synchronicity of events led me to a wonderful little house, tucked away between 2 ridges in a secluded (though not remote) area. Cell phone? Trash! Doesn't work up here. GPS? Forget it! Doesn't work up here either. Television? Nah, who needs it with so many great adventures to be had! I feel like I died a went to heaven, I tell you! This place is a dream come true!

Pisgah National Forest
The Pisgah National Forest is a land of mile-high peaks, cascading waterfalls, and heavily forested slopes. Comprised of over 500,000 acres, the Pisgah is primarily a hardwood forest with whitewater rivers, waterfalls and hundreds of miles of trails. This national forest is home of the first tract of land purchased under the Weeks Act of 1911 which led to the creation of the national forests in the eastern United States. It is also home of the first school of forestry in the United States, now preserved at the Cradle of Forestry in America historic site, and boasts two of the first designated wilderness areas in the east. The Pisgah, Grandfather and Appalachian Ranger Districts are scattered along the eastern edge of the mountains of western North Carolina and offer visitors a variety of opportunities for outdoor recreation and enjoying the natural beauty of the mountains. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a National Parkway and All-American Road in the United States, noted for its scenic beauty. More about that later..it's a fascinating story how this beautiful parkway came in to being.

So, I have decided after posting some of my adventures to my other blog (Our Planet Earth http://slaade.blogspot.com/) which are a bit off topic, I would instead begin a new blog ...and here it is!

I have been here in the mountains for 3 months now and not a day goes by without a new adventure, new discovery or just good old fashioned humor that I hope you find interesting. Thanks for stopping by! Make yourself at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment